Ultimate Guide: Plan Your Visit to the MCG - Tickets, Tours, Events & More
Melbourne Cricket Ground | Visitor Information At A Glance
- What are the MCG's opening hours?
The MCG is open to the public for tours from 10 AM - 5 PM, seven days a week (except for event days).
- Where is the MCG located?
The MCG is located at Brunton Ave, Richmond VIC 3002, Australia. Get directions.
- How many gates does the MCG have?
The MCG has 7 gates you can enter the venue with.
- How many visitors does the MCG see per year?
The MCG sees around 3.5 million visitors per year.
Where is the MCG Located?
Getting to the MCG in Melbourne
By Public Transportation
By Train: The closest train stations to the MCG are Richmond and Jolimont. If you prefer to travel by train, you can take the Lilydale, Belgrave, or Alamein lines, which will lead you to Jolimont station, the nearest station to the MCG.
By Bus: You can take the following bus routes to reach the MCG: Route 246: Elsternwick to Clifton Hill via St Kilda, Route 246P: Elsternwick to Clifton Hill via St Kilda, Route 246R: Elsternwick to Clifton Hill via St Kilda (Weekend Night Bus), Route 605: Gardenvale to City via Kooyong Road, Route 246 Bundoora RMIT - Elsternwick.
By Tram: Traveling by tram is also a convenient option. You can take either Route 48 or Route 75 and alight at the MCG or the Jolimont Station.
For those driving to the MCG, if you're coming from the city center, head in the direction of East Melbourne by taking Wellington Parade. Continue on Wellington Parade until you reach the junction with Jolimont Street, where you'll spot the MCG on your right-hand side.
To find parking options nearby, proceed past the stadium and make a right turn onto Jolimont Terrace.
1. Yarra Park MCG Car Park, which is a 3-minute walk away from the MCG
2. 11 Exhibition Street, which is a 14-minute walk away from the MCG
3. Wilson Parking, Federation Square, which is a 13-minute walk away from the MCG
Know Before You Go To The MCG
- Book your tickets in advance: Whenever possible, book your tickets for events or tours at the MCG online in advance. Some events offer fast-track entry for those who have pre-purchased their tickets. This can help you avoid waiting in long lines on the day of the event.
- Use Mobile Tickets: If the event allows mobile tickets, have your tickets ready on your smartphone for quick and easy scanning at the gate.
- Go Early: If you can't secure priority entry, arriving early at the MCG can also help you beat the crowds and minimize waiting times.
There are seven entrances to the MCG.
- Ponsford Stand Entrance: This entrance is located on the southern side of the MCG, facing the Melbourne city center. It is one of the most prominent entrances and provides access to the Great Southern Stand seating area.
- Olympic Stand Entrance: Situated on the eastern side of the MCG, this entrance leads to the Olympic Stand seating section.
- Members' Reserve Entrance: The Members' Reserve has its dedicated entrances, including Gate 1 and Gate 2, which are located on the southeastern side of the stadium.
- Paddock Entrance: This entrance, also known as Gate 3, is located on the northeastern side of the MCG and provides access to the Paddock area.
- Southern Stand Entrance: Found on the southern side of the MCG, this entrance leads to the Southern Stand seating section.
- Gate 5: Gate 5 is located on the southwestern side of the MCG, providing access to the concourse area and other seating sections.
- Jolimont Station Entrance: If you're arriving at the MCG via public transportation and alighting at Jolimont Station, you'll find an entrance nearby.
- Food and Beverage Outlets: The MCG has numerous food and beverage outlets located throughout the stadium, offering a variety of cuisines and refreshments. You can find fast food options, sit-down restaurants, and kiosks selling snacks and drinks.
- Merchandise Outlets: There are merchandise shops within the MCG where you can purchase official team merchandise, souvenirs, and memorabilia related to the events or teams playing on the day.
- ATMs and Banking Facilities: The stadium is equipped with ATMs, allowing visitors to withdraw cash if needed. Some outlets also accept card payments.
- First Aid Stations: First aid stations are available to provide medical assistance if required during events.
- Information Desks: Information desks are located around the MCG to help visitors with any queries or assistance they may need during their visit.
- Wi-Fi: The MCG offers free Wi-Fi access to visitors, enabling them to stay connected during events.
- Drinking Fountains: There are drinking fountains available for visitors to refill water bottles and stay hydrated.
- Wheelchair Seating: The stadium offers wheelchair-accessible seating areas with spaces for companions nearby. These seats provide a good view of the field and ensure comfortable seating for visitors with mobility challenges.
- Accessible Toilets: Throughout the MCG, there are accessible toilets equipped with appropriate facilities to accommodate visitors with disabilities.
- Elevators and Ramps: Elevators and ramps are strategically located throughout the stadium to provide easy access to various levels and seating areas.
- Hearing Assistance: The MCG has hearing augmentation systems available to assist visitors with hearing impairments. These systems amplify the stadium's public announcements and commentary.
- Accessible Parking: Designated accessible parking spaces are available close to the stadium entrances for visitors with disabilities.
- Assistance Animals: Visitors with service animals, such as guide dogs, are generally permitted at the MCG. It's essential to check the specific event guidelines regarding service animals before attending.
- Accessible Entrances: The stadium has accessible entrances with features like automatic doors and appropriate signage to aid visitors with disabilities.
The MCG provides several family-friendly facilities and amenities to ensure an enjoyable experience for visitors attending events with their families.
- Parent's Rooms: The stadium has parent rooms equipped with baby-changing facilities, private feeding areas, and comfortable spaces for families with infants or young children.
- Family Seating Areas: There are designated family seating areas within the stadium, providing a family-friendly atmosphere for parents and children to enjoy the event together.
- Kids Play Zones: During certain events, the MCG may set up dedicated kids' play zones with various activities and entertainment for young visitors.
- Accessibility for Strollers: The MCG is designed to be accessible for families with strollers, with ramps and elevators available for easy navigation.
- Family Parking: Some events may have designated family parking areas to facilitate easy access for families with young children.
- Check the Event Schedule: Before planning your visit, check the MCG's official website or event listings to confirm the date and time of the event you wish to attend.
- Buy Tickets in Advance: Whenever possible, purchase your tickets online in advance. This can save you time and ensure you get the best seats available.
- Arrive Early: Arriving early allows you to explore the stadium, find your seats, and avoid last-minute rushes. It's especially crucial if you want to take advantage of pre-event activities or avoid potential traffic delays.
- Use Public Transportation: The MCG is well-connected by public transportation, including trains, trams, and buses. Using public transport can save you the hassle of finding parking and reduce your environmental impact.
- Check the Bag Policy: Be aware of the MCG's bag policy, as there are restrictions on the size and type of bags allowed inside the stadium. It's best to travel light and only bring essential items.
- Dress Comfortably: Wear comfortable clothing and suitable footwear, as you may be walking and sitting for an extended period during the event.
- Stay Hydrated: It can get warm inside the stadium, especially during summer events, so bring a refillable water bottle to stay hydrated.
- MCG Superstore: The MCG Superstore is the stadium's flagship merchandise store, offering a wide range of official team merchandise from various sports played at the venue. Here, you can find apparel, accessories, and other items related to teams and events.
Located at Gate 3, behind Bay M51.
- Merchandise Outlets: Throughout the stadium, you'll find smaller merchandise outlets strategically placed in different areas. These outlets offer a selection of team-specific merchandise and souvenirs.
- The Hill Stand Food Court: Located in the Hill Stand, this food court offers a selection of food outlets with various cuisines, including burgers, hot dogs, sandwiches, and more.
- The Great Southern Stand Food Court: Situated in the Great Southern Stand, this food court features a range of food options, including fast food and snacks.
- Paddock Café: The Paddock Café offers sit-down dining options, serving meals and beverages in a more relaxed setting.
- Bullring Bar: The Bullring Bar is a popular spot for drinks and refreshments, offering a vibrant atmosphere during events.
- Members' Dining Room: If you have access to the Members' Reserve, you can dine in the exclusive Members' Dining Room, which offers a premium dining experience.
- Frank Grey Smith Bar & Bistro: Located in the Members' Reserve, this bistro-style eatery provides a variety of meal options and beverages.
- Mercure Welcome Melbourne, 2.3 km away
- The Victoria Hotel, 2 km away
- Adara Richmond, 2.1 km away
- Space Hotel, 2.7 km away
- Novotel Melbourne on Collins, 2.7 km away
- Mantra on Russell, 2.6 km away
- Mantra on Jolimont, 350 m away
- Quest Southbank, 1.9 km away
- Quest on Dorcas, 2.3 km away
- Yarra Park: Located right next to the MCG, Yarra Park is a beautiful green space where you can enjoy a leisurely walk, have a picnic, or simply relax and take in the surroundings.
- Rod Laver Arena: Just a short walk from the MCG, Rod Laver Arena is another iconic sports and entertainment venue. It hosts major tennis tournaments and concerts, offering a variety of events throughout the year.
- Fitzroy Gardens: Not far from the MCG, the Fitzroy Gardens offer a serene escape with beautiful gardens, historic landmarks like Captain Cook's Cottage, and scenic walking paths.
- Melbourne Museum and Royal Exhibition Building: A short tram or taxi ride away, these attractions are part of the UNESCO World Heritage-listed Carlton Gardens precinct, showcasing cultural and natural history exhibits.
Frequently Asked Questions: Visiting the MCG in Melbourne
To take a tour of the MCG, you can head there any day of the week between 10 AM to 3 PM. To visit the Australian Sports Museum, the opening hours are 10 AM to 5 PM.
The best times to visit the MCG are during the AFL season (March to September) for Australian Rules Football fans and during the cricket season (November to February) for cricket enthusiasts.
If you opt for a guided tour of the MCG, the duration will depend on the type of tour you choose. Standard tours typically last around 75 to 90 minutes, while more in-depth tours may take up to two hours or longer.
For most sporting events and concerts at the MCG, attendees are allowed to exit the stadium and re-enter as long as they have their original event ticket and a valid wristband or pass.
The MCG is situated approximately 1.5 kilometers southeast of Melbourne's CBD, on Brunton Avenue, Richmond.
Considering the traffic and limited parking on event days, using public transportation or walking/cycling is often recommended, as it can help you avoid potential congestion and parking challenges. Melbourne has an extensive public transportation network, and using trains, trams, or buses is often the easiest way to get to the MCG.
There are seven entrances at the MCG: Great Southern Stand (Ponsford Stand), Olympic Stand, Members' Reserve (Gate 1 and Gate 2), Paddock (Gate 3), Southern Stand, Gate 5, and Jolimont Station.
Yes, the MCG is wheelchair accessible, and the venue is committed to providing accessibility options for visitors with disabilities. The stadium has facilities in place to accommodate wheelchair users and ensure they can enjoy events comfortably.
The MCG offers wheelchair-accessible seating with a good view of the field, accessible entrances with automatic doors, elevators, ramps, and accessible toilets with appropriate facilities for visitors with disabilities.
Yes, foldable prams or strollers are generally allowed inside the MCG. The stadium is family-friendly, and they understand that visitors may need to bring prams for young children.
Yes, photography is generally permitted inside the MCG for personal use, especially during sporting events and tours. Visitors are allowed to take photos of the stadium, the action on the field, and their overall experience at the venue.
The MCG does not have a dedicated cloakroom or baggage storage facility for visitors. If you have specific items that you cannot carry with you during the event, such as large bags or luggage, it's best to make arrangements to store them elsewhere before arriving at the MCG.
The Melbourne Cricket Ground does not provide strollers or wheelchairs for rental or loan to visitors. Visitors are expected to bring their own strollers or wheelchairs if needed.
Generally, the MCG does not allow visitors to bring outside food and non-alcoholic drinks into the stadium during major events like AFL matches and cricket games.
Booking tickets online allows you to access the MCG's ticketing platform from the comfort of your home or on the go. You can easily browse upcoming events, available seating options, and ticket prices without having to visit a physical ticket office.
It typically costs A$33 for one adult to visit the MCG. Children from the ages of 5 to 15 enjoy reduced pricing at A$15, while those below the age of 5 get to enter the MCG for free.