New Year in Melbourne 2023 | Top 9 Things to Do, Events, Parties & More!
Weather in Melbourne during New Year’s Eve
Average Temperature: 20°C
Highest Temp: 24°C
Lowest Temp: 13°C
Chances of Rain: Expect 3-8 days of rainfall
What to Wear: Melbourne enjoys comfortable weather in December. The temperature rarely falls below 10°C, and rainfall isn't as regular. You can wear shorts and t-shirts, but ensure you carry your umbrella.
What to look out for: Fireworks set off in several locations in Melbourne on New Year's Eve. It is a sight to behold and a major Instagrammable moment.
Top 9 Things to do in Melbourne on New Year's Eve
1. Dine at the waterfront
A magical dinner by the waterfront is an amazing way to celebrate New Year's Eve. Ludlow Bat and Dining is one of the best restaurants by the waterfront for a fantastic New Year's Eve. You can enjoy a three-course dinner from a set menu and choose from Ludlow Bar and Dining's brilliant wine selection.
Dinner by the waterfront is a memorable experience. You can enjoy a great dinner and see Melbourne light up as the clock strikes 12.From 160 AUD
2. Catch live entertainment at Alexandra Gardens
Alexandra Gardens is an excellent destination to celebrate New Year. From adventure sports to parties and music, Alexandra Gardens gives you a chance to celebrate New Year's Eve the way you want. You can also enjoy amazing views of Melbourne and see the city welcome the New Year with fireworks.
- Alexandra Gardens is a party hotspot on New Year's Eve.
- You can catch amazing views of Melbourne from epic boathouses floating on the river.
3. Family time at Treasury Gardens
Treasury Gardens is the place to be for an amazing New Year's Eve with your family. You can enjoy live entertainment, circus acts, and hip-hop workshops. There are also dedicated fireworks zones, where you can get fantastic views of fireworks going off at Treasury Gardens.
- There are several ways to celebrate New Year's Eve at Treasury Gardens. You can eat dinner, enjoy circus acts, or take a hip-hop workshop.
- Dedicated fireworks zones at Treasury Gardens welcome the New Year in style.
4. Catch fireworks from a rooftop bar
Few other cities light up like Melbourne on New Year's Eve. Fireworks fill the night sky, and rooftop bars are the perfect place to watch the spectacle. You can enjoy drinks all night and see the sky glitter like gold.
- Rooftop bars provide an unbeatable view of Melbourne's fireworks.
- Good Heavens Rooftop Bar and Loop Roof & Loop Top are among the best rooftop bars in Melbourne.
5. Enjoy Melbourne street feasts
Melbourne street feasts are a dream for food lovers. The City of Melbourne, the Victorian State Government, and the Melbourne Food and Wine Festival jointly offer a two-day dining experience to tourists. You can enjoy great food and pop-up street celebrations as you welcome the New Year.
- The New Year's eve feast comprises European-style dining hubs.
- The Supper Inn Table, Vue De Monde, and Chin Chin are popular spots to taste meals in Melbourne.
6. Watch amazing fireworks at Docklands waterfront
Docklands waterfront offers a stunning look at the Melbourne skyline on New Year's Eve. The city is lit with fireworks on every corner, making the night come alive. Docklands Waterfront is one of the most sought-after events held in Melbourne all year.
- You can catch amazing views of fireworks lighting up Melbourne from a rooftop restaurant at Docklands Waterfront.
- There are several amazing restaurants at Docklands Waterfront for a great NYE dining experience.
7. Experience skydiving on New Year's Eve
Parties, dinner, and music are some ways to enjoy NYE, but how about something crazy? Skydiving is an unorthodox but breathtaking alternative to celebrate NYE. The adrenaline rush you'll experience will stay with you forever and remind you of Melbourne.
- Skydiving is a once-in-a-lifetime experience, something that'll stay with you forever.
- Melbourne is an amazing place to celebrate New Year and experience skydiving.
8. Fly over a hot air balloon
Another thrilling way to celebrate New Year in Melbourne is to fly over a hot air balloon. It feels amazing to fly over the gorgeous city on NYE and catch extraordinary views of the sky. But ensure you follow the pilot's guidelines for a safe journey.
- Flying over a hot air balloon is a unique experience you can enjoy in a few places on Earth.
- Melbourne feels like a city out of a fairytale from the top.
9. Party at the Boatbuilder's Yard
Boatbuilder's Yard promises NYE festivities every year. It's situated by the water and offers a great vantage point to enjoy NYE fireworks. Ensure you book early, as the event at Boatbuilder's Yard is always sold out.
- The restaurant is a premium destination in Melbourne to celebrate New Year.
- It's a party hotspot, a great place to welcome the coming year with drinks, music, and dance.
Plan Your New Year Eve in Melbourne
Bus - Buses are an easy option in Melbourne. They frequently run from schools, colleges, hospitals, shopping centres, etc. They also connect regional towns across the state with Melbourne.
Train - Flinders Street Station is connected with outer suburbs via Melbourne's metro trains. The city also has an underground system having five stations: Southern Cross Station, Flagstaff, Melbourne Central, Parliament and Flinders Street.
Tram - Trams are an easy way to get around Melbourne. You can board them at signposted stops that display route numbers, timetables, and maps. Even better, travelling in central Melbourne by tram is free.
Taxi - In a rush? Get a taxi! Melbourne's taxis are easily available. They're also easy to spot, displaying a lamp on the cab roof and painted yellow, silver, or white.
Monk Bodhi Dharma - 25 AUD
Industry Beans - 27.5 AUD
Axil Coffee Roasters - 15 AUD
Osteria Ilaria - 45 AUD
Tipo 00 - 40 AUD
Sunda Dining - 130 AUD
- The Victoria Hotel - 164 AUD
- The Hotel Windsor - 252 AUD
- Citadines on Bourke - 150 AUD
- The Savoy on Little Collins - 250 AUD
- Mövenpick Hotel Melbourne On Spencer - 336 AUD
- Sofitel Melbourne - 361 AUD
Frequently Asked Questions About Celebrating New Year's Eve in Melbourne
Melbourne is different from other cities because it offers several unique ways to celebrate New Year. You can enjoy the fireworks at a rooftop restaurant, party at a nightclub, go on a boat tour, or fly over a hot air balloon on NYE.
Rooftop bars offer incredible views of the fireworks lighting up Melbourne on NYE. They're popular on NYE in Melbourne, and so are nightclubs.
Skydiving and flying over a hot air balloon are a few offbeat things you can do in Melbourne on New Year.
Live entertainment at Alexandra Gardens and circus acts at Treasury Gardens are a few kid-friendly options in Melbourne on New Year.
Being a premium city in Australia, Melbourne is a popular destination for NYE. Unique experiences like skydiving and flying over a hot air balloon have made Melbourne a top destination on NYE.
Yes, Melbourne is safe throughout the year, including New Year.
Nightclubs in Melbourne throw the best New Year parties. Boatbuilder's Yard and rooftop bars are popular places to enjoy parties in Melbourne.
Rooftop bars are the best place to watch fireworks fill the night sky in Melbourne. Good Heavens Rooftop Bar and Loop Roof & Loop Top are among the best rooftop bars in Melbourne.
Weather is a defining reason why thousands choose Melbourne to celebrate New Year. The city enjoys a comfortable 20°C average temperature in December. You can wear whatever you want without worrying about freezing to death.
Sub Club Melbourne, Pulp, and The Toff In Town are amazing clubs to celebrate New Year's Eve in Melbourne.
The Victoria Hotel, Adina Apartment Hotel Melbourne, and The Hotel Windsor are a few budget-friendly stay options in Melbourne.
Mövenpick Hotel Melbourne On Spencer, Grand Hyatt Melbourne, and Sofitel Melbourne are the best luxury stay options in Melbourne.
Monk Bodhi Dharma, Industry Beans, and Axil Coffee Roasters are some brunch options in Melbourne.
Melbourne is popular for New Year's Eve because it offers a range of experiences. You can dance, drink, party, skydive, or fly over a hot balloon in Melbourne on NYE.